Let’s Ride – City Ride Confirmed For Southampton!
It’s official…Southampton has been confirmed as one of thirteen cities across the UK to host the ‘Let’s Ride’ City Ride event, which is dedicated to letting cyclists take over the streets of cities all over the UK, for a day over the Summer.
The one-day family event will take place in Southampton’s City Centre on Sunday 25th June and is set to be the perfect day “for big kids, for little kids, for everyone”.
Two of Britain’s most successful cycling Olympians Chris Hoy and Laura Kenny are excited to announce the Let’s Ride series, in which they hope to inspire people to get out on their bikes and make the most out of cycling.
“We want everyone to relive the freedom and thrill that comes when you get on a bike. The HSBC UK City Rides will ensure that tens of thousands of people across the UK get the chance to enjoy cycling through their city on traffic-free roads, inspiring them to make cycling part of their everyday lives.
“By opening up the roads of some of our biggest cities, we want to demonstrate the change and benefits that can come from having cities with fewer cars and more bikes. This is a vision that British Cycling and HSBC UK are determined to drive forward over the course of the next four years. These events are the first step towards achieving that goal and getting two million people cycling by 2020.” Chris Hoy
So, What’s On At City Ride Southampton?
Besides the ride around the city itself, there are lots of other things going on throughout the day, to keep everyone entertained:
- Bike Advice – come and see a technician in the Cycle Inn to get all of your bike questions answered
- Have a go on the Virtual Reality Track
- Kids’ Zone – Let your little ones decorate their bikes and learn new skills from British Cycling’s Go Ride crew
- Roller Racing – We’ll be there! Come and see us and give our famous roller racing a go – how will your time compare to the other riders?
- Race on the pop-up Street Velodrome
- Take on The Sir Chris Hoy Challenge
- Try out the different bikes available at the Trail Trial!
- Grab a drink and a bite to eat at The Breakaway Cafe
And the best news yet? It’s completely free to come along, so don’t forget to register here! Everyone who registers will get a free City Ride bib, and if you’re one of the first 500 riders to turn up to the event, you’ll even get a free slice of cake…what more could you want?!
We hope to see you there!